The International Journal of Critical Indigenous Studies is an internationally peer-reviewed publication and we welcome contributions within the field. Articles between 4,000-6,000 words (double-spaced pages) including tables, endnotes and references, are accepted for review. The Editors reserve the right to return papers to authors where they exceed this word limit. Each manuscript must be accompanied by an email stating that it has not been published previously and that it has not and will not be sent for consideration by another journal while submitted to the International Journal of Critical Indigenous Studies.
Prepare copy as follows
- An electronic word or RTF version (do not provide PDF or HTML formatted versions) of the manuscript should be submitted with the name and affiliation of the author on a separate page to preserve anonymity. Please provide the word count on the manuscript.
- All manuscripts should be accompanied by an abstract of 100-150 words plus 5 or 6 keywords.
- Photographs and other visual materials should be high-contrast black and white glossy print. Permission to reproduce them must be obtained by the author(s) and acknowledgements made in the paper.
- Please provide a separate brief (no more than 50 words) autobiographical note with your contribution and ensure that a full mailing address and email address is included.
All submissions should be made by email to the Journal’s Assistant Editor, Dr. David Singh.
Please ensure that the Microsoft Word or RTF document does NOT include a title page or page numbers. It is imperative that authors remove from their submissions any information that will identify them or their affiliations to reviewers. All correspondence, including notification of the Editors’ decisions and requests for revisions, will be by email.
All peer-reviewed manuscripts are evaluated anonymously by at least two reviewers with expertise in the field of Indigenous Studies. The editors mediate their assessment and make the final decision. There are three possible outcomes:
- The paper is accepted as is, or with minor revisions
- It is returned with reviewers’ comments and an invitation to rewrite and resubmit for review
- It is rejected
The contributors of papers accepted for publication will receive an edited email copy of their manuscript and should address all queries and carefully check all editorial changes. Please note that there will be a deadline for response to queries. Contributors are urged to observe the deadline as no corrections can be made after that date. Authors are responsible for the specific content of their manuscripts, including the accuracy of citations and references.
Publishers should send books for review to the Book Review Editor, Dr. David Singh.
Book reviews are normally solicited by the Editors however, if you wish to submit one for consideration, please consult with the Book Review Editor, Dr. David Singh, prior to submission. Please note that submissions for book reviews should be 1000-1500 words.
References in text
The journal uses Harvard style referencing.
All references to books, articles and other sources are to be identified at an appropriate point in the text by name of author, year of publication, and page numbers. Footnotes to the text should be avoided, and where used, should be numbered consecutively and presented as endnotes.